Dr. Jeff Martindale: Native American Flute and Shakuhachi Music: Links
- Michael Gould
- Michael is a Dai Shihan (Grand Master) of the shakuhachi. He has produced several albums that I highly recommend. He is also my sensei for the shakuhachi.
Online lessons are available through Skype web service. You can also meet with Michael in-person for lessons.
Native American Flute Makers
- Butch Hall Flutes
- Where it all started for me. Butch and Laura Hall make high-quality, consistent, and reliable Native American flutes that are very affordable and a joy to play.
- Coyote Oldman
- Michael Graham Allen makes an incredible line of Native American flutes. He has been making them longer than anyone out there. He is also a wonderful recording artist.
- Spirit of the Woods Flutes
- Ed Hrebec is a terrific maker of Native American flutes. Check out his website for purchasing flutes or flute music.
- Brent Haines creates amazingly beautiful and powerful Native American flutes. He is terrific to work with and loves making custom flutes designed just for you! These are my favorite for unmiked situations.
- Meadowlark Flutes
- John Kulias crafts ceramic Native American flutes. These flutes have a special spirit in their voicing and outward physical beauty. John's attention to detail ensures a quality flute that is highly respected among performing artists.
- Querencia Woodwinds
- Rich Halliburton creates artistically beautiful Native American style flutes. The bore diameters on his flutes are larger than most makers. This creates a resonant and powerfully full sound to the flute. Check out his site for more information.
- Tai Hei Shakuhachi
- Monty Levenson is known the world over as a maker of fine shakuhachi. His quality is incredible and consistent and a fine person as well.
- Inga Shakuhachi
- This is a terrific website to view shakuhachi in the making. Derek Van Choice is an extremely talented musician and maker of shakuhachi.
- Mujitsu Shakuhachi
- Ken LaCosse is wonderful at creating the Shakuhachi. He has an excellent selection of jinashi shakuhachi.
- Yung Flutes
- A wonderful person and shakuhachi maker. Check out his website for more information.
- The Flute Case Store
- The best place to purchase your next protective flute case. Mark and Karen Slater provide an affordable and very high quality line of cases to protect your Native American flute and Shakuhachi. The only way to travel is with a protective case.
- Japan Shakuhachi
- David Sawyer has an excellent selection of shakuhachi from Japanese Makers. David is a kind soul and an excellent resource.
- Naljor Creations
- If you are interested in starting out on the shakuhachi, I would recommend considering the purchase of the Shakuhachi Yuu. Neal at Naljor Creations is the distibutor of these instruments in the United States. While relatively inexpensive, these durable and precise instruments come highly recommended by many shakuhachi professional performers and teachers. Neal also offers high quality new and vintage shakuhachi for sale as well as shakuhachi accessories.
- Jazz Kat Amplifiers
- The following site is a great location for quality amplifiers from a small and dedicated company in the United States. The customer service is great and the amps appear to be a great option for flute players.
- Sweetwater is a great website with all kinds of performing gear. Check it out!